- 3 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 1/2 pounds 93% lean ground beef
- 1/2 pound lean ground pork
- 1/4 cup + 6 tablespoons ketchup, divided
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the bacon and cook until lightly browned, 6-7 minutes. Stir in the onion, garlic, carrots, and thyme, cook, stirring occasionally, until very soft, about 5-7 minutes. Remove from the heat and cool 5 minutes; transfer to a large bowl. Add the beef, pork, 1/4 cup ketchup, breadcrumbs, parsley, eggs, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper to the vegetable mixture and mix well. Transfer the mixture to a large rimmed nonstick baking sheet and form into a 10 x 4 1/2 x 2-inch loaf. Spread the remaining 6 tablespoons ketchup over the top of the loaf.
- Bake the loaf until browned and an instant read thermometer inserted into the thickest portion registers 165°F. Let rest 10 minutes before slicing.