For the Onion Jam:
- 2 tablespoons Kerrygold unsalted butter
- 4 cups red onions, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
For the Panini:
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons spicy brown mustard
- 8 slices seeded rye bread
- 16 thin slices Swiss cheese, about 6 ounces
- 12 ounces pastrami, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons Kerrygold unsalted butter, softened
- For the onion jam, melt the butter in a large Anolon® Nouvelle Copper Hard Anodized Nonstick 12-inch skillet over medium heat. Stir in the onions, garlic and sugar; cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are very soft but not yet starting to brown, 16-18 minutes. Add the wine and vinegar and cook until nearly evaporated and the mixture is thickened, 7-8 minutes. Stir in the salt and pepper then transfer to a bowl; reserve. Wipe out the skillet.
- Combine the mayonnaise and mustard in a bowl and set aside.
- Place 4 slices of the rye bread on a work surface and spread each with the mayonnaise mixture. Top each with 2 slices of the cheese and 3 ounces of pastrami. Evenly spoon the onion jam over the pastrami then top each with 2 slices of the cheese. Place the remaining slice of bread on each sandwich. Spread the outside of each sandwich with the softened butter.
- Heat the skillet over medium heat. Add 2 sandwiches; cover the pan with a lid or large piece of aluminum foil. Cook, occasionally pressing down on them with a spatula to help flatten slightly, until the sandwiches are golden brown and the cheese has melted, about 4-5 minutes per side. Repeat with the remaining sandwiches. To serve, cut each sandwich in half.
- Yield: 4 Servings