- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 1/2 - 4 pound chicken, excess fat
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, minced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 green onions, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup white miso
- 2 tablespoons lower sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons aji mirin
- 8 white mushrooms, quartered
- 12 ounces sweet potato, peeled, cut into
- 1 medium white turnip, peeled, cut into
- 1 medium parsnip, peeled, cut into 1/2-
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Heat the olive oil in an Anolon Advanced Home Dutch Oven over medium until very hot. Season the chicken with salt and pepper and add to the pan, breast side down. Cook until the chicken is browned all over, turning every 3 minutes, about 12 minutes total. Transfer the chicken to a plate.
- Heat the sesame oil and add the ginger, garlic and green onions; cook, stirring often, until fragrant and slightly softened, 2 minutes. Stir in the broth, miso, soy sauce and mirin, stirring until the miso dissolves. Add the mushrooms, sweet potato, turnip and parsnip; top with the chicken. Cover the pan and transfer to the oven. Bake 45 minutes, uncover and continue cooking 15 minutes longer until the chicken and vegetables are very tender. Remove from the oven and let stand 10 minutes before carving chicken. Serve in shallow bowls with the vegetables and broth.