- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 3/4 cup chopped fresh chives, about 1 bunch
- 4 (6-ounce) tilapia fillets, each divided lengthwise into 2 pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Canola oil
- Lemon wedges
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons chopped cornichon pickles
- 2 teaspoons drained capers, chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Make the tartar sauce: combine the mayonnaise, pickle, capers, lemon juice, and parsley in a bowl and set aside.
- Spread the flour on a large plate. Beat the eggs in a wide shallow dish. Combine the breadcrumbs and chives and spread them evenly on a dinner plate.
- Season the tilapia with salt and pepper. Dredge each filet in the flour, shaking off excess, then dip in the egg; finally, dredge in the breadcrumb mixture, pressing lightly to help it adhere to the fish.
- Heat 1/3 cup oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add four pieces of tilapia and cook until the coating is nicely browned and the fish is cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes per side. With a slotted spatula transfer the fish to a warm plate. Add 1/4 cup oil and heat then repeat with remaining tilapia. Serve with tartar sauce and lemon wedges.