Bistro Salad with Poached Egg and Shallot-Chive Vinaigrette
- 4 ounces smoked slab bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces 4 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chopped shallots
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh chives
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 8 cups mixed lettuce, such as baby romaine, baby oak, baby tango, frisee
1. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the bacon and cook, stirring occasionally until browned, about 7-8 minutes. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towel and drain.
2. Meanwhile, fill the egg poacher with water and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Reduce heat to low, and place an egg in each poaching cup. Cover and cook until the whites are set and the yolks are still slightly creamy, about 7-8 minutes. Invert each cup on a plate to remove the egg.
3. While the egg cooks, whisk together the vinegar, shallots, chives, mustard, salt, and pepper in a small bowl. Slowly whisk in the oil until combined.
4. Place the lettuce in a large bowl and toss with the dressing and bacon. Divide among 4 plates and top each with a poached egg. Serve immediately.