8 ounces vegan dark chocolate (minimum 70%) , finely chopped
3/4 cup organic vanilla soy or coconut milk creamer
1/8 teaspoon fine sea salt
1 1/2 teaspoons mild fruity olive oil
1/2 to 3/4 cup Dutch process cocoa powder, sifted
Flaked sea salt, optional
- Put the chopped chocolate into a medium-sized heatproof bowl and set aside.
- Pour the creamer into a small saucepan, add the salt and bring to just under a boil over medium heat. Immediately remove the saucepan from the heat. Wait 30 seconds and pour the very hot creamer over the chocolate all at once. Swirl the bowl making sure all the chocolate is submerged.
- Whisk gently from the center out until all the chocolate is melted and the mixture, called a ganache, is perfectly smooth. Stir the olive oil into the ganache.
- Pour the ganache into a shallow dish (a 9-inch pie pan is perfect) and set aside for 20 minutes. Refrigerate a few hours until the ganache is firm enough to scoop and shape.
- Form the truffles: Remove the ganache from the refrigerator. Spoon ½ cup of the cocoa powder into a shallow container (or use another pie pan). Scoop ¾ inch spoonfuls and drop into the cocoa powder. Dust your hands with cocoa powder and shape into balls. Roll in the cocoa powder until coated.
- Store the truffles in an airtight container, separating the layers with wax or parchment paper, and refrigerate. Sprinkle the truffles with flaked sea salt if you wish and serve at room temperature.
- Yield: 40 1-inch truffles
- Course: Dessert