Bourbon BBQ Meatballs
By: Brandy O'Neill
For the meatballs:
- 1 pound ground meatloaf mix, (ground beef, pork and veal)
- 1 cup chopped fresh baby spinach
- 1/3 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 large egg
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- Kosher salt and pepper, to taste
For the sauce:
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup bourbon
- 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey mustard
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teapoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- Pinch kosher salt
- For the meatballs: Preheat the oven to 350° F and line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or silpat liner.
- In a large bowl, add all meatball ingredients. Using your hands mix together until fully incorporated. Roll into about 2-inch sized balls and place onto prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for about 15-20 minutes until no longer pink. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- For the sauce: Add all sauce ingredients to an Anolon Nouvelle Copper Luxe Sable Casserole over medium heat. Whisk together to combine.
- Let the sauce mixture simmer for 20 minutes—just until it starts to bubble and cook down.
- Add meatballs to the sauce, cover and let simmer for 5 minutes. Uncover, flip the meatballs and simmer until ready to serve.
- Make sure to keep an eye on the sauce so it doesn’t cook down too much.