- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups (2 large apples) baking apples, peeled and sliced
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar , packed
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 8 strips bacon, crisply cooked and crumbled
For the Pie:
- 1 Flaky Pie Crust, (double if you wish to make this recipe with a lattice top crust)
- Whipped cream , for garnish
- For Apples, melt butter in 10-inch skillet over medium heat; stir in apples. Cook and stir 5 minutes until apples begin to soften; stir in brown sugar and cinnamon; cook and stir 1 minute longer or until sugar has melted and clings to apples. Let cool at least 5 minutes.
- Heat oven to 425°F. In medium bowl, beat eggs with wire whisk or electric mixer 1 to 2 minutes or until light yellow. Beat in brown sugar and flour until combined. Gradually whisk in half-and-half.
- For the candied bacon sprinkles, In medium skillet, heat 1/3 cup sugar over low heat without stirring until sugar begins to melt, 3 or 4 minutes. Swirl pan and stir until sugar begins to turn golden brown. Stir in 8 strips crisply cooked and crumbled bacon until coated in caramel. Remove from heat and spread on baking pan to cool; separate pieces by pulling apart with 2 forks. When cool, break apart large pieces that have stuck together.
- Place apple mixture in pastry shell; pour custard mixture over apples. Bake 10 minutes; reduce heat to 325°F and bake until custard is set, about 40 to 50 minutes. Cool before serving. Serve with Whipped Cream and Candied Bacon. Refrigerate leftovers.
- Yield: 8 Servings
- Cuisine: American
- Course: Dessert