- 3 cups coleslaw mix
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 4 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 1 1/4 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 slices seeded rye bread
- 8 teaspoons spicy brown mustard
- 1 1/2 pounds thinly sliced pastrami
- 8 slices Swiss cheese, about 5 ounces, at room temperature
- Combine the coleslaw mix, mayonnaise, vinegar, sugar and salt in a bowl; let stand at room temperature stirring occasionally.
- Place 1 slice of bread onto each of 4 plates. Spread one side of each of the remaining 4 slices with 2 teaspoons of the mustard.
- Heat pastrami in an open skillet over medium heat just until hot, being careful not to overcook it.
- Top each of the bread slices on the plates with 1/4 of the hot pastrami then top each with 2 slices of cheese and 1/4 of the coleslaw. Set the remaining bread slices, mustard side down, on top of each sandwich. Cut each sandwich in half crosswise and serve immediately.