- 6 egg yolks
- 2 cups brown sugar, divided
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 4 cups whole milk
- 4 cup whole pecans
- 1 tablespoon butter
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs and ½ cup of the brown sugar until they are fluffy. Set aside. In a 6 quart stockpot, whisk together the heavy cream, whole milk and 1 and ½ cups brown sugar. Heat over medium heat, stirring frequently, until the sugar is dissolved and the mixture is barely simmering.
- Gradually pour the hot milk mixture into the egg yolks, whisking continuously to temper them. Return the mixture to the pot and continue to cook over low heat until the mixture thickens slightly and reaches about 170°F. Remove from the heat and let cool. Pour into a container and refrigerate 4 hours or until completely chilled.
- Meanwhile, toast the pecans. In a small an Anolon Accolade skillet, melt the butter over medium high heat. Add the pecans and toast them for about 4 or 5 minutes or until lightly browned and fragrant. Remove from the skillet and let them cool completely. Coarsely chop them, if desired.
- Pour the chilled custard mixture into an ice cream maker and freeze according the manufacturer’s instructions. Stir in the pecans immediately after freezing in the ice cream maker. Let the ice cream continue to harden in the freezer for another few hours before serving.
- Yield: approximately 3 quarts
- Course: Dessert