- 1 cup Lentils
- 3 cups Water
- 1 bulb Fennel, chopped
- 3/4 cup Balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup Orange juice
- 1/2 tsp Fennel seeds
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/8 tsp Black pepper
- 8 cups Mixed field greens (or other lettuces)
- 3 Oranges, peeled and cut into 1-inch segments
- 4 oz Goat cheese, crumbled
- Combine lentils, water and fennel in a saucepan; bring to a boil and reduce heat. Partially cover and simmer for 20-22 minutes or until lentils are tender but still hold their shape. Drain.
- Meanwhile, combine balsamic vinegar, orange juice, fennel seed, salt and pepper in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil and cook 16-17 minutes until syrupy or reduced to about 1/4 cup. Season to taste with additional salt and pepper as needed. Toss lentils mixture with 2 tablespoons of the balsamic dressing.
- Toss the greens, orange segments and half the goat cheese together. Dress with the remaining balsamic reduction. Divide among four plates. Top each plate with the one-fourth of the lentil mixture. Sprinkle each plate with the remaining goat cheese.