- 1 cup raw macadamia nuts, frozen or chilled
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup corn starch
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2-3 tablespoons non-fat milk, chilled
- 1 cup fresh ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup crème fraiche or sour cream
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' Sugar
- 1 tablespoon Kirsch or preferred liquer, optional
- whole macadamias and pitted cherries or berries, for garnish
- 1/4 cup grape jelly, melted
- To make the pastry, place the macadamias, flour, cornstarch and sugar in a food processor and process to a fine crumb.
- Add the egg and pulse on and off a few times.
- With motor running, gradually add the milk until the mixture just starts to come together.
- Transfer to a well-floured board and knead gently to a smooth dough. Wrap in plastic and chill 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Lightly dust individual or 1 large flan or tart tins.
- Roll out pastry to fit tin, prick base several times with a fork, line base with foil or parchment and cover with dry beans or rice and bake for 10 minutes. Remove foil and beans and continue to bake 3-5 minutes until lightly golden. Allow to cool.
- Whip the ricotta, crème fraiche, sugar and liqueur, if using, and spread over the base. Decorate with macadamias and berries and glaze with the softened grape jelly.