- 1 tablespoon water
- 4 tablespoons salted butter
- 2 pounds mussels, scrubbed well
- Zest from 1/2 of a lemon
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped basil
- Set a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the water and heat until it begins to bubble. Reduce heat to medium-low.
- Using a silicone whisk, whisk in one piece of butter until completely melted. Repeat until all butter has been incorporated into a smooth sauce. Do not allow the sauce to boil.
- Add the mussels. Cover and cook 5-7 minutes, or until shells open.
- Stir in the basil and lemon zest. Remove from heat & serve.