Pan-Seared Salmon with Tomato, Basil and Balsamic Topping
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 8 Roma tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 tsp sugar
- 4 tbsp thinly sliced fresh basil
- 3/4 tsp Salt, divided
- 1/4 tsp Ground Black Pepper, divided
- 4 (6-ounce) skin-on salmon fillets
- Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until starting to brown, about 1-1 1/2 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes and cook until starting to wilt, about 2-3 minutes. Add the vinegar and sugar and cook, stirring, 30 seconds. Transfer to a bowl and stir in the basil, 1/4 teaspoon of the salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Keep warm.
- Wipe out the skillet with a paper towel and return to the stove over medium heat. Sprinkle salmon with remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Add to the skillet, skin side up, and cook until nicely browned, about 6 minutes. Turn over and cook until skin is crisp and fish flakes easily with a fork, about 5-6 more minutes. Transfer salmon to each of 4 serving plates and top each with 1/4 of the tomato mixture.