Pasta with Pine Nuts, Raisins and Tomatoes
By: Nick Stellino
- Yield: 6-8 Servings
- Cuisine: Italian
- Course: Entrée
- 1 pound Penne Rigate , cooked al dente
- 9 tablespoons Olive oil
- 8 Garlic cloves , thickly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon Red pepper flakes
- 1 1/4 cups cups Raisins, soaked in 2 cups of water for 20 minutes, drained, water discarded
- 3/4 cup Pine nuts
- 1 cup tomatoes, Peeled, seeded and diced (approximately 4-5 tomatoes)
- 4 1/2 tbsp tablespoons Chopped fresh basil
- 4 1/2 tablespoons Chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 4 1/2 tablespoons Chopped fresh mint
- 1 Lemon's grated zest
- 3/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 5 tablespoon Italian-style bread crumbs toasted
- 5 tablespoon Freshly grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- Cook the pasta according to directions.
- Heat the oil in a large sauté pan on medium heat until sizzling, about 3 minutes. Stir in the garlic, red pepper flakes, raisins and pine nuts. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the diced tomatoes, parsley, basil, mint, lemon zest, salt and pepper. Cook for 3 more minutes.
- Add the cooked pasta to the sauce. Cook until pasta is coated with the sauce, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Toss the pasta in the pan with the bread crumb mixture. Turn off the heat. Add the cheese and stir well.
- Chef's Tip: To make toasted breadcrumbs, heat up a non-stick pan over medium heat for 2 minutes. Add the breadcrumbs, reduce the heat to low and stir well for 1-2 minutes until the breadcrumbs start to brown. Pour the breadcrumbs in a plate to cool off, until ready to use.