Quick Coq au Vin
- 6 strips Bacon
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 tsp Dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 lb Boneless chicken breasts and thighs (any combination) , cut into irregularly shaped 2 1/2
- 4 Carrots sliced
- One 10-oz box Mushrooms , sliced
- 1 cup Onion, chopped
- 1 Green pepper , diced
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 cup Lower sodium chicken broth
- 1 tbsp Tomato paste
- Cook the bacon in a deep skillet. Remove it from the pan and set it on a plate lined with paper towels to drain. When it’s cool, cut or tear the bacon into 1/2-inch pieces. Pour off the bacon fat from the skillet, allowing only a thin film to remain.
- Meanwhile, combine the flour, thyme and salt in a bowl. Dredge the chicken in the flour mixture.
- Heat the skillet in which the bacon cooked over medium high, add the chicken and cook 3 minutes, or until lightly browned. Turn the chicken, cook 2 minutes, and add the carrots, mushrooms, onion and green pepper to the pan. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 3-4 minutes, or until the vegetables are softened.
- Add the wine, broth and tomato paste to the pan and cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes, or until the sauce is thickened and the chicken cooked through. Stir the bacon back in and serve.