- 2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 Fennel bulbs , cored and thinly sliced
- 8 cloves Garlic , sliced
- 3 1/2 pounds Russet potatoes , peeled and thinly sliced on a mandoline
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese , grated
- 1 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp White pepper
- 2 1/2 cups Heavy cream
- 4 tbsp Unsalted butter , cut into small pieces
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter a 9” x 13” baking pan.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add fennel and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and starting to brown, 8-10 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Arrange 1/2 fennel mixture over bottom of prepared pan. Arrange 1/2 of potato slices in an even layer over fennel mixture. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup cheese, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Repeat layering with remaining fennel mixture and potato slices. Pour cream evenly over top layer of potato. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup cheese, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Top with butter pieces then cover with foil.
- Bake until potatoes are tender but not quite cooked through, 1 hour 10 minutes. Uncover and bake until golden brown and potatoes are tender, 30 minutes longer.
- Yield: 12 Servings
- Cuisine: American
- Course: Side Dish