- 1 1/2 - 2 pounds squid, cleaned and chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon black sesame seeds
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon rice wine
- 1 dash chili sauce
- mixed salad greens (arugula, frissee, mint, and mache)
- Dry the squid well on paper towels. Heat the oil in a non-stick pan and add one piece of squid. If it sizzles, add the remainder and cook over medium high heat, shaking pan, for 1-2 minutes or until just turning opaque. Transfer to a dish.
- Whisk together the dressing ingredients.
- Wipe the pan clean and add the sesame seeds, toast for 1 minute in dry pan shaking taking care not to burn. Add the dressing and remove from heat.
- When sugar dissolves, give a stir and pour over the calamari. Refrigerate until ready to serve, at least 30 minutes, to allow flavors to develop.
- Place greens on plates and top with the calamari, spooning the dressing over all the salad. You can also serve the calamari warm over the leaves, for a quicker alternative. The warm and cool contrast makes the flavors really glow.