- 8 ounces soba noodles
- 3 dried shiitake mushrooms, hydrated in 1/2 cup cool water for at least 30 minutes (reserve cooking water)
- 1 1/2 cups frozen edamame (green soybeans) or peas
- 1 carrot, julienned
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons tamari or soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons canola or other neutral oil
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons rice or ume vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, minced
- 1-2 green onions, chopped, both white and green parts
- toasted sesame seeds, for garnish, optional
- Cook soba noodles according to package directions (usually in 10 cups water for 4 to 6 minutes).
- Add the rehydrated mushrooms, edamame and carrots to the soba cooking water for the last 2 minutes of cooking. Drain well.
- Heat the vegetable broth and add the reserved mushroom soaking water. Pour in the noodle and vegetable mixture.
- Combine the tamari or soy sauce, canola oil, sesame oil and vinegar, with the garlic and ginger. Pour the dressing into the soba mixture. Serve warm or at room temperature. Garnish with green onions and sesame seeds, if desired. Add more tamari if you think that the dish needs more salt.