South Beach Medianoche with Mango-Mustard Chutney
By: Fare to Remember
- Yield: 4 Servings
- Cuisine: Cuban
- Course: Entrée
- 4 6-inch loaves Medianoche bread, (French baguettes work as well)
- 8 slices roast pork
- 8 slices Black Forest ham
- 8 slices Swiss cheese
- 4 tablespoons mango mustard chutney, (recipe to follow)
- Cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup diced Spanish onion
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup diced peeled fresh mango
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon whole grain mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Sriracha, to taste
- For the mango mustard chutney, heat the olive oil in a saucepan and then add the next four ingredients. Sauté, stirring often, until onions are translucent.
- Add the mango and lemon juice, turn the heat to low and cook for fifteen minutes or until the mango has broken down to a consistency similar to chunky applesauce.
- Add the mustards and Sriracha, cook an additional five minutes and then allow chutney to cool.
- For the medianoche, slice loaves in half lengthwise and spread mango chutney on each half.
- Layer both sides with the Swiss cheese, then pork and finally ham. Top with the remaining bread
- Heat Anolon Grill Pan on medium high heat. Spray pan liberally with cooking spray and place sandwiches in pan. Place Panini press on top and cook for three to four minutes or until toasted.
- Flip sandwiches over and repeat on the other side. Cut in half and serve.