4.5 cups cake flour, plus extra for the pan
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 cup oil
2 cups granulated sugar
4 large eggs, whole
1 cup strawberry jam
1/2 cup fresh strawberries, medium dice
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Butter or oil baking pan, line bottom of pan with parchment paper; butter paper and dust baking pan with flour, tapping out any excess. Set aside.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into a medium bowl, and set aside.
- Combine buttermilk, and vanilla extract in another bowl, and set aside.
- Beat butter, oil, and sugar in a bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment and cream until pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Reduce speed and add whole eggs one at a time, scraping down mixer bowl between each addition. Mix until combined.
- Add strawberry jam and diced strawberries on low speed until incorporated.
- On low speed, add dry ingredients in three batches, alternating with the buttermilk mixture. Starting and ending with the dry ingredients. Be careful not to over mix the batter.
- 8. Pour batter into prepared pan(s), and smooth top with a spatula. Bake at 325°F until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean and the cake springs back when pressed lightly in the center, about 30-40 minutes.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool before unmolding.
- To unmold, run a knife around the edge of the cake to loosen cake sides, invert cake to release from pan. Cool completely before decorating.