- 1/2 cup hazelnuts, toasted
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 4 ounces unsalted butter, softened (8 tablespoons)
- Grated zest from 1 lemon
- 2 hardboiled egg yolks*
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup strawberry jam
- Combine the hazelnuts, flour, baking powder, salt and sugar in a food processor. Process until the hazelnuts are finely chopped.
- Stop the machine and add the butter, lemon zest, hard boiled egg yolks and vanilla extract. Process until it comes together into a ball. This happens quickly. Chill for 30 minutes for the dough to firm up slightly. This will make it easier to work with.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Divide the dough into two pieces, one two-thirds of the dough and the other one-third. Press the large piece of dough into the bottom of an 8-inch square pan, evenly pressing it across the pan. (You can put a piece of plastic wrap between the dough and your fingers if you prefer.)
- Spread the strawberry jam on top of the dough.
- Divide the remaining piece of dough into 5 or 6 sections. On lightly floured board roll the dough into strips ¼ inch wide. Diagonally place the strips on top of the jam in a lattice pattern. You can piece together strips. Bake for 25-30 minutes until the jam is set and the crust is golden brown. Cool completely and then cut into 2-inch bars.
- Yield: 16 cookies