For the Sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, minced
- 1 Serrano pepper, seeded, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 3 tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar
- 7 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons chili garlic sauce
- 2 teaspoons sriracha sauce
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
For the Wings:
- 2 1/2 pounds chicken wings , tips
removed, split at the joint
- 3 tablespooons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups canola oil
- For the sauce, heat the oil in a nonstick Anolon Nouvelle Copper 2-Qt. Saucepan over medium. Add the garlic, ginger and Serrano pepper; cook, stirring often, until starting to soften, about 2-3 minutes. Add the sugar, fish sauce, vinegar, chili garlic sauce, sriracha sauce and 1/2 cup water. Bring to a gentle boil and cook until starting to thicken slightly, 6 minutes. Whisk in the cornstarch that has been dissolved in 1 tablespoon cold water. Return mixture to a boil and cook until thickened, 1 minute. Keep warm.
- Preheat the oven to 200°F.
- Toss the chicken wings in a large bowl with the flour to coat.
- Heat the oil in a nonstick Anolon Nouvelle Wok over medium, until the oil is hot enough to brown a 1-inch bread cube in 40-45 seconds. Add half the chicken wings and cook, stirring and turning occasionally, until the wings are golden brown and cooked through, about 7 minutes. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels to drain. Place on a baking sheet and keep warm in the preheated oven. Repeat with the remaining wings.