Sweet Potato Croquettes
- 2 pounds (3 large) sweet potatoes, yield 2 1/2 cups mashed
- 1 1/2 cups plain dry breadcrumbs, divided
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar, packed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh rosemary or sage , minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup (approximately) milk
- vegetable oil
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- 1/4 cup green onion , chopped
- 1 serrano chili pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon lime peel, grated
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped
- Heat oven to 375° F. Pierce skin of each sweet potato with knife or fork to allow steam to escape. Bake 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes or until tender; cool to room temperature (1 hour). Scoop flesh from skin and mash sweet potatoes until smooth. Stir in 1/4 cup breadcrumbs, the cheese, egg, brown sugar, rosemary, salt and pepper. Shape into 1 1/2-inch balls (use a #40 scoop). Coat in breadcrumbs; shake off excess. Dip in milk; roll in breadcrumbs again and flatten slightly into 2-inch patty. Place on parchment-lined baking sheet. Cover and freeze at least 1 hour.
- Place all salsa ingredients in bowl of food processor; pulse until cranberries are chopped. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- In 12-inch nonstick skillet, heat 3 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat. Fry up to 8 croquettes at a time, 2 to 3 minutes, turning once, until golden brown. Remove from skillet; drain on wire rack placed over baking pan. Keep warm. Repeat with remaining croquettes and coating. (Add additional oil, if necessary).
- Place croquettes on serving platter; top each with about 1 teaspoon salsa.