Weekend Lasagna Bolognese
By Whitney Bond
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1/2 cup diced carrots
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano, divided
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley, divided
- 2 teaspoons dried basil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup red wine
- 2 (28-ounce) cans whole peeled tomatoes
- 12 lasagna noodles
- 24 ounces ricotta cheese
- 2 1/4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- Preheat the oven to 300°F.
- Heat the olive oil in a stockpot over medium heat.
- Add the onion, celery and carrots, cook 6 - 8 minutes.
- Add the garlic and tomato paste, cook 30 seconds.
- Add the beef and pork, cook until browned.
- Drain any grease from the pot.
- Stir in 1 teaspoon kosher salt, ½ teaspoon thyme,1 teaspoon oregano, 1 teaspoon parsley, 1 teaspoon basil, ½ teaspoon black pepper, and ⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg.
- Stir in the milk and bring it to a rapid simmer. Continue simmering until the milk has reduced completely and very little liquid remains, about 7-9 minutes.
- Stir in the wine and simmer again until reduced completely, about 7-9 minutes.
- Use your hands to squish the whole tomatoes into pieces as you add them to the pot.
- Cover the pot, place in the oven and cook for 2-3 hours.
- About 20 minutes before the Bolognese is ready to come out of the oven, add water to an stockpot and bring to a boil; cook the lasagna noodles according to the package directions.
- In a small bowl, combine the ricotta cheese, remaining ½ teaspoon sea salt, 1 teaspoon oregano, 1 teaspoon basil, 1 teaspoon parsley and ¼ cup mozzarella cheese.
- Once the Bolognese comes out of the oven, turn the heat on the oven up to 375°F.
- To prepare the lasagna, place 3 cooked lasagna noodles in the bottom of a 9” x 13” baking dish.
- Spread a layer of the ricotta cheese mixture on the noodles.
- Place a layer of Bolognese sauce on top of the cheese.
- Layer noodles, ricotta, Bolognese 3 more times.
- Top the lasagna with the remaining 2 cups of mozzarella cheese.
- Tent the lasagna with aluminum foil, place in the oven and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove the foil and continue baking for an additional 10 minutes.