Zucchini Spaghetti with Tender Grilled Chicken
By: Glenda Embree
- Yield: 6 Servings
- Cuisine: Italian
- Course: Entrée
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 4 medium zucchini, spiral cut
- 2 cups grape tomatoes, halved
- 4 tablespoons olive oil , divided
- 1 large red bell pepper
- 4 green onions , thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon garlic , minced
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/4 cup butter
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Season both sides of each chicken breast with salt and pepper. One at a time, place the chicken breasts into a gallon-sized zip-top bag and use the smooth side of a meat mallet or a rolling pin to pound them to an even thickness.
- Place the chicken on the grates of a pre-heated grill pan, set between 450°F - 500°F to quickly sear the meat on both sides (2 or 3 minutes, per side). Use tongs to turn the meat, so you don't prick the seared surface and allow the juices to escape. Reduce the heat on the grill to about 350°F and allow the meat to cook until it reaches an internal temperature around 155°F. Move the chicken to a platter and cover it with foil. It will continue to cook on the platter and should reach 165°F by the time you are ready to serve it.
- Cut the four, washed unpeeled zucchini into "spaghetti". (You can use a handheld spiral cutter, or if you're great with a knife, julienne your own veggies). Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in the bottom of two different skillets. In one skillet, cook the finely diced bell pepper, sliced green onions, garlic and Italian seasoning over medium high heat until the vegetables are hot and tender crisp, not mushy. In the other skillet, add the zucchini noodles to the oil, over medium high heat. Zucchini has lots of water content and as it cooks, you will see your huge pile of zucchini quickly begin to shrink down into the pan and lots of moisture will be cooking off. Continue to cook over medium-high heat until the "spaghetti" is hot and slightly tender.
- Drain the liquid that has cooked off the zucchini and then return the drained "noodles" to the skillet with your other vegetables.
- Turn the heat to medium-high and add the butter and halved grape tomatoes. Stir until butter has melted and tomatoes are hot. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Pile a serving of zucchini spaghetti in the center of a plate and top with a grilled chicken breast, sliced diagonally.