For the Dough:
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 packet yeast
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 pound (2 sticks) butter, room temperature, cut into bits
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1 cup sour cream
For the Filling:
- 1 1/4 cups walnuts
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 3/4 cups apricot jelly, room temperature
- Make the dough: combine the flour, yeast and sugar in a bowl. Cut in the butter with a pastry fork or two butter knives until the mixture is the consistency of sand.
- Beat the egg yolks lightly with a fork and combine with the sour cream. Stir into the flour mixture until just combined. Divide the dough into 10 balls (each about 2-inches in diameter) and wrap each tightly in plastic wrap. Refrigerate over night.
- To make the cookies: Preheat the oven to 350°F. Combine the nuts, sugar and cinnamon in a food processor and pulse until the mixture is the consistency of coarse sand. Spread 1 heaping tablespoon out on your work surface to form a 9-inch circle. Take one ball of dough out of the refrigerator and place in the center of the circle. Press down with your palm to flatten into a disk, cover with plastic wrap and roll the disk, on top of the plastic, into an 8-inch circle. Carefully peel off the plastic wrap and sprinkle the top of the dough with a heaping tablespoon of the cinnamon nut mixture. Cut the dough into 8 even wedges. Place about ¼ teaspoon of the jelly about 1/4-inch in from the outer wide edge of each wedge.
- Roll the wide end over the jelly toward the point until it forms a shape similar to that of a croissant. Repeat with the remaining wedges. (Note: if the dough sticks to the surface, gently scrape it up with a butter knife as you roll). When all 8 cookies are formed, roll them in any cinnamon nut mixture remaining on the work surface. Place the cookies, point side down, on a nonstick baking sheet with about an inch between them. Repeat with two more rolls of dough, filling two baking sheet pans in total.
- Bake until the cookies are golden and flaky, about a total of 15 minutes, rotating the pans once after about 7 or 8 minutes.
- Transfer the cookies to wire rack to cool.