Beef and Sausage Stuffed Peppers
- Yield: 6 Servings
- Course: Side Dish
- 1 cup uncooked long grain white rice
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 12 ounces 85% lean ground beef
- 8 ounces bulk sweet Italian sausage
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup packed golden raisins
- 2 tablespoons drained capers
- 1 tablespoon chopped oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup shredded aged Asiago cheese
- 6 medium assorted color bell peppers, red, yellow, orange, crowns cut off and seeds removed
- 2 cups reduced sodium tomato juice
- Cook the rice with 1/4 teaspoon of the salt according to package directions.
- Heat the oil in an Anolon Advanced Square Dutch Oven over medium-high. Add the beef and sausage; cook, breaking up into smaller pieces, until no longer pink, 4-5 minutes. Add the onion, garlic, raisins, capers, and oregano; cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion begins to soften, 5-6 minutes. Stir in the rice and cook 1 minute. Remove from the heat and stir in the cheese, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper.
- Spoon the filling into the bell peppers and set then in the Dutch oven or pot just large enough to hold them snugly. Pour the juice into the pot and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the peppers are tender, 28-30 minutes. Transfer to serving bowls and spoon the cooking liquid over the peppers.