For the burger
- 1 3/4 pounds buffalo meat, ground
- 1/3 cup macadamias, or other nuts of preference, diced
- 1 shallot, peeled and diced
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- freshly ground pepper, to taste
For the harvest fruit relish
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1/4 cup macadamia pieces
- 3 plums, peaches, or nectarines, diced
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary leaves
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup red wine
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2-3 tablespoons soft goat cheese or chevre
- 4-6 burger rolls or Ciabatta
- To make the burgers, combine all the ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Refrigerate 1 hour, if possible, to allow flavors to develop.
- To make the relish, heat oil in a saucepan and cook the onion and macadamias over medium heat for 2-3 minutes or until onion is starting to soften.
- Add the fruit and cook 2-3 minutes longer, stirring occasionally. Add remaining ingredients and cook until liquid is absorbed and relish is thick and glossy. Keep warm or chill for use when needed.
- Preheat barbecue or grill pan and brush with oil. Cook the burgers over a medium to high heat for 6-7 minutes each side or until cooked as desired.
- Spread rolls with goat cheese, top with the lettuce and burger and spoon over the hot or cold relish.