Caramelized Onion and Goat Cheese Tart
By: Rosemary Mark
- Ready In: 60 mins
- Cook: 45 mins
- 1 store-bought pizza dough, single crust
- 3-4 cups thinly sliced onion, halved and cut in vertical strips
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme or 1 tablespoon fresh, chopped thyme
- 4 eggs
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 ounces crumbled goat cheese , 3/4 cup
- 1 medium tomato, thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Roll dough to a 12-inch circle. Press into a 10-inch tart pan with removable sides, folding dough in a double layer around edge. Prick bottom and sides of dough. Bake 10-12 minutes until lightly browned, pricking any air bubbles to release steam. Cool. (See note). Reduce oven to 350°F.
- In a large skillet cook onions with butter and thyme over medium-low heat until very soft and browned, about 15 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Whisk eggs and flour until smooth. Stir in milk, 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper. Place tart on a baking sheet (to catch any spills). Spread onions and goat cheese evenly on crust. Pour egg mixture over. Arrange tomato slices on top.
- Bake at 350°F for 45 minutes or until custard is set and top is very lightly browned. Let stand 10 minutes. Remove pan rim and cut into wedges to serve.