- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage, squeezed out from the casings
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 8 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 pound dry gemelli pasta
- 1 pound cherry tomatoes (assorted colors), halved
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups baby arugula
- 3/4 cup Romano cheese, freshly shredded, plus additional for serving
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Heat a casserole over medium heat. Add the sausage and onions and cook, breaking sausage into smaller pieces with a wooden spoon, until the onion is translucent and the sausage starts to brown, 15-17 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook until it is tender and golden, 5-6 minutes.
- Increase the heat to medium-high and add the pasta, cherry tomatoes, salt and 5 1/2 cups water. Cook, stirring very often, until the pasta is tender and the liquid is thickened, about 18-20 minutes. Remove from the heat and add the arugula, cheese and pepper, stirring until the arugula is wilted. Divide among 6 bowls and top with additional cheese if desired.