- 3 large ribs celery, thinly sliced on a sharp diagonal
- 1 medium fennel bulb, trimmed, cored and very thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 large gala apple, cored and thinly sliced
- 4 cups baby arugula
- 1 tablespoon white balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chopped shallots
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Combine the celery, fennel, apple, and arugula in a large bowl. Combine the vinegar, shallots, zest, salt, and pepper in a smaller bowl. Slowly whisk in the oil.
- Pour the vinegar mixture over the celery and toss well to coat. Divide among 4 plates and serve immediately.
- Yield: 4 starter salad servings
- Course: Appetizer