Cheddar Garlic Corn Spoon Bread
By: Heather Cheney
- Yield: 8 Servings
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon butter, divided
- 4 cups 2% milk
- 2/3 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups grated cheddar
- 2 cups frozen corn kernals
- 6 eggs, separated
- Preheat oven to 425° F.
- In a 2 quart saucepan, melt 3 tablespoons of butter over medium heat and cook garlic until fragrant—about 30 seconds. Stir in milk and heat to just below a boil. Slowly whisk in the cornmeal and bring to a boil. Cook, whisking constantly for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and scrape cornmeal mixture into a mixing bowl. Stir in cheese and salt until melted, followed by the frozen corn kernels. Let sit for 10 minutes and whisk in egg yolks.
- Grease 9x13” baking dish with remaining teaspoon of butter.
- In a medium bowl, beat the egg whites just until they form soft mounds, not stiff peaks. Stir 1/3 of the whites into of the corm mixture to lighten and then carefully fold in the remaining whites. Gently turn batter into the buttered baking dish. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until risen and golden brown. Serve immediately.