- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 large onion, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 cup 1/4-inch diced carrot
- 1 cup 1/4-inch diced parsnip
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 2/3 cup cracked freekeh
- 1 1/2 cups cooked shredded chicken
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- In a large saucepan or small stockpot over medium-high heat, warm the oil. Add the onion, carrot, parsnip, and curry powder and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are crisp-tender, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Increase the heat to high, add the broth and freekah, and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook until the freekah is tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Stir in the chicken to heat it through. Add salt and pepper to taste; serve garnished with the dill.
- Yield: 4-6 Servings
- Cuisine: American
- Course: Soup