- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves , minced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, finely chopped
- 1 pound 85% lean ground beef
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can petite diced tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 12 all-beef hot dogs
- 1 1/2 cups shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese
- sliced fresh jalapeño peppers, optional
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- Heat the oil in a Dutch oven over medium. Add the onion, garlic and jalapeño pepper; cook, stirring occasionally, until starting to soften, 1-2 minutes. Stir in the beef, chili powder, cumin and oregano; cook, breaking up into smaller pieces, until no longer pink, 4 minutes. Add the diced tomatoes and tomato paste, bring to a simmer, cover, reduce the heat to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally, 25 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper; keep warm.
- Heat a nonstick grill pan over medium. Using a knife, make several shallow slits on each hot dog then place in pan. Cook the hot dogs, turning occasionally, until well marked and heated through about 7-8 minutes.
- Place a hot dog in each bun and top with some of the chili, 2 tablespoon of the cheese and jalapeño slices if using.