Chipotle Mac and Cheese
- Yield: 8 Servings
- Cuisine: American
- Course: Dinner
- 1 pound celantini (twisted elbows), pasta
- 7 ounces cured chorizo sausage, diced
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 3/4 cup corn flake crumbs
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups whole milk
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, seeded and minced + 1 tablespoon adobo sauce
- 1 pound extra sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 8 ounces jack cheese, shredded
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Butter an 8-cup baking dish.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook 1 minute less than the package suggests; drain, rinse under cold water and drain again.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of the butter in a medium nonstick skillet over medium. Add the corn flake crumbs and cook, stirring until the butter is well distributed, about 1 minute. Remove from the heat.
- Heat a 5-quart saucepan over medium. Add the chorizo and cook, stirring occasionally, until starting to brown, 5-6 minutes. Transfer chorizo to a bowl and add the remaining 4 tablespoons butter to the saucepan. After the butter has melted add the flour and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Whisk in the milk, chipotle peppers and adobo sauce. Bring the milk mixture to a simmer, stirring and scraping the bottom of the pan, until thickened, 6-7 minutes. Add the cheddar and jack cheese; stir until smooth. Stir in the pasta and chorizo. Transfer to the prepared baking dish and top with the corn flake crumbs.
- Bake until the top is golden and the filling is bubbly, about 20-22 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.