- 4 Lemons
- 1 1/2 cups Whole milk
- 5 Egg yolks
- 1 tsp Cornstarch
- 1/3 cup Sugar
- 2 tbsp All-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp Lemon juice
- 1 tbsp Unsalted Butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup Mascarpone
- 4 cups Mixed berries, blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, or boysenberries
- 2 tbsp Confectioner's sugar
- Peel the lemons with a vegetable peeler avoiding the white pith. Scald the milk in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the lemon peel and remove from the heat. Let sit 1 hour. After 1 hour, strain the milk to remove the lemon peel and discard the peel.
- In a bowl, beat the egg yolks until light and fluffy. In another bowl, combine the constarch, sugar and flour. Add this mixture to the egg yolks and beat until light and fluffy, about 1 minute.
- Scald the milk a second time and add the milk slowly to the eggs, whisking constantly. Place the mixture back in the saucepan, and stirring over low heat, cook until the mixture thickens and bubbles around the edges. Remove from the heat and whisk in the vanilla, lemon juice and butter. Fold in the mascarpone until well mixed.
- Preheat the broiler.
- Divide the custard mixture between 6 or 8 individual gratin or tartlet dishes, 5-inches in diameter. Press the berries into the custard mixture. Sift the confectioner's sugar onto the top. Broil until the tops are golden brown, 1-2 minutes. Serve hot or at room temperature.