For the Holiday Spice Syrup:
- 1 tablespoon whole allspice berries
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 3 whole star anise pods
- 1/2 tablespoon whole cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 whole orange
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups granulated sugar
For the cocktail:
- 1.5 ounces Armagnac, (preferably Chateau Tariquet VS, but you can use any Armagnac, cognac or neutral brandy)
- 1/2 ounce green chartreuse
- 3/4 ounce Holiday Spice Syrup, (recipe below)
- 1 ounce lemon juice
- 1 egg white
- For the Holiday Spice Syrup: In an Anolon® Advanced Tri-Ply Skillet, heat allspice, cinnamon, star anise and clove. Agitate constantly for 30-60 seconds, until fragrant. Once warm and fragrant, immediately add to a cold Anolon Advanced Tri-Ply Sauce Pan.
- Add remaining spices, peel of the orange, water and sugar to saucepan. Heat on low and stir until sugar is fully dissolved into mixture. It may simmer, but do not bring to boil (we are avoiding caramelization). Let spices steep in pot until completely cool. Strain and store for up to 6 months in the refrigerator.
- For the cocktail: Combine all ingredients in a cocktail shaker and give it about 8 firm shakes. Add ice and shake for 15 seconds with vigor. Strain into a festive glass – a low ball or wine glass work great – and top with freshly grated nutmeg.