Fennel and Citrus Roasted Striped Bass
- Yield: 4 Servings
- Cuisine: Italian
- Course: Dinner
- 2 1 1/2-pound whole striped bass, cleaned, scaled, and fins clipped
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup thinly sliced fennel
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced onion
- 4 fresh thyme sprigs
- 4 fresh oregano sprigs
- 8 orange slices
- 8 lemon slices
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- With a sharp knife, make 3 deep cuts (down to but not through the bone) diagonally crosswise on both sides of each fish. Set fish in a bowl and rub inside and out with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil then drizzle with the lemon juice. Sprinkle inside and out with the salt and pepper. Toss fennel and onion in a bowl with the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and fill each fish with 1/2 of the mixture, 2 thyme sprigs and 2 oregano sprigs.
- Using eight of the orange and lemon slices, form 2 rows on an Anolon Eminence 11" x 17" Baking Sheet, alternating the fruit. Place a fish on top of each row. Top the fish with a second row, again alternating the remaining lemon and orange slices.
- Roast 30-31 minutes or until the fish flakes easily with a fork. Serve immediately.