Green Tea Chai Latte
By: Jill Nussinow
- Yield: 2 Servings
- Cuisine: Indian
- 2 cups water
- 1 inch piece of ginger, peeled if not organic and sliced into 4 pieces
- 2 cardamom pods, lightly crushed
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 tablespoons Green tea, sencha or your favorite type will work too
- 1-2 tablespoons agave syrup
- 1 1/2 cups low-fat or nondairy milk such as almond, rice or coconut beverage
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of matcha powder, for garnish
- In a medium saucepan, bring the water to a boil with the ginger slices, cardamom pods and cinnamon. Lower the heat and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Turn off heat, stir green tea leaves into water, and let steep for 2 minutes. Add agave syrup, milk and salt, and heat until hot but not boiling over medium heat.
- To serve, strain into cups. Add more agave syrup if desired, to taste.