For Joanne's Rich Homemade Chicken Stock
- 5 pounds chicken parts (backs, necks, wings, excess fat removed), divided
- 1 onion, peeled and coarsely chopped, divided
- 1 carrot, peeled and coarsely chopped, divided
- 12 parsley stems, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme or dry thyme, divided
- 2 bay leaves, divided
For Joanne's Double Stock Turkey Gravy
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 teaspoons corn starch
- 2 teaspoons flour
- 1 batch Joanne's Rich Homemade Chicken Stock*
- To make Joanne’s Rich Homemade Chicken Stock, place half of each ingredient in an Anolon Nouvelle Copper Luxe Saucepan. Add water to 2" over the bones. Bring to a boil and immediately reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer slowly until the meat has fallen off the bone and the stock tastes very rich, 5 to 6 hours. As the level of the liquid decreases in the pot, replenish it periodically to maintain the original level.
- Strain through a fine mesh strainer into a bowl. Place in the refrigerator and allow the stock to cool completely. When it has cooled, remove the fat from the top with a spoon.
- To make Joanne's Double Stock Turkey Gravy, after roasting the turkey, remove it to a cutting board or platter. Pour off the fat from the pan and discard.
- Deglaze the pan by adding 1/2 cup dry white wine and reduce by half, scraping up the bits on the bottom of the pan. Add the double stock and bring to a simmer. In a small bowl, combine 2 teaspoons each cornstarch and flour and whisk together. Using a whisk, add as much of the cornstarch/flour mixture as you need to obtain the desired thickness. Strain.