Lentil Pancakes with Smoked Salmon and Crème Fraiche
48 pancakes (12 Servings)
- 1/4 cup lentil du puy
- 1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 pound smoked salmon, sliced
- 6 tablespoons crème fraiche
- 6 chives, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- Cook lentils according to package directions; drain.
- Combine the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, cumin, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Combine the buttermilk, egg, and butter in a separate bowl. Stir the buttermilk mixture into the flour mixture until smooth. Batter will be slightly thick. Gently fold in lentils.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium. Drop batter 1 tablespoon at a time into skillet. Cook pancakes until the tops are just covered with a few bubbles and the edges are set, about 2 minutes. Turn and cook until browned, about 2 minutes longer. Transfer to a baking sheet and repeat with remaining batter.
- To assemble, top pancakes with salmon and 1/2 teaspoon crème fraiche; garnish with the chives. May be made advance and refrigerated up to 4 hours ahead.