Manhattan Sesame-Hoisin Pulled Pork Sliders
- 5 1/2-6 pound bone-in pork shoulder roast (Boston Butt), excess fat trimmed to 1/4-inch thickness
- 1 large hickory wood chunk, soaked in water for at least 30 minutes
- 24-28 potato slider rolls
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon five spice powder
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup hoisin sauce
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon chili-garlic sauce
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- For the rub, combine the sugar, five spice powder, salt, pepper and sesame seeds in a small bowl. Evenly rub the mixture over the pork to coat. Let stand at room temperature for 45 minutes.
- Set up grill for medium-low indirect heat cooking (275°- 300°F). Place an aluminum pan, half filled with water, on the charcoal grate under where the pork will be.
- Place the wood chunk on the lit charcoal. Set the pork, fat side up, on the grill grate over the aluminum pan and close the lid. Grill, adding enough charcoal to maintain temperature after each hour, until an instant read thermometer inserted into the center of the pork without touching the bone registers 160°, about 3 1/2 to 4 hours. Wrap the pork in a large sheet of heavy-duty aluminum foil and return to the grill over indirect heat. Close the lid and cook until the internal temperature reaches 195°F about 1-2 hours longer. Remove from the grill and let rest in foil for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a medium nonstick saucepan over medium. Add the onion, ginger and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly softened, 3-4 minutes. Stir in the hoisin, ketchup and chili-garlic sauce; bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 10-12 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in sesame seeds.
- Unwrap the roast and if cool enough to handle, shred the meat, discarding any large pieces of fat. Transfer pork to a bowl and stir in the sauce until well mixed.
- Top slider rolls evenly with pork and sprinkle with green onions and sesame seeds if using.