Pear, Cranberry, and Apricot Compote with Orange and Clove
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 2/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 5 strips fresh orange zest, (2-inch x 1/2-inch)
- 3 strips fresh lemon zest, (2-inch x 1/2-inch)
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 5 whole cloves
- 3 firm but ripe Bartlett pears, 1 1/2 pounds, peeled, cored, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup dried apricot, sliced
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- Combine the water, juice, sugar, zest, lemon juice, and cloves in a 3-quart saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Simmer 6 minutes until slightly reduced. Add the pears, apricots, and cranberries; return to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until pears are tender enough to be easily pierced with the tip of a knife, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and cool in the syrup 15 minutes.
- With a slotted spoon transfer the fruit mixture to a bowl; discard zest and cloves. Return the saucepan with the liquid to the stove over medium heat and bring to a simmer. Cook until liquid thickens, about 4 to 5 minutes. Pour liquid over fruit.