- 4 (6-ounce) duck breast fillets
- 1/3 cup hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon Chinese 5-spice
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups milk, at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1 English cucumber, peeled and cut into 3-inch long matchsticks
- 6 green onions, very thinly sliced on a steep angle
- Marinate the duck: Place the duck skin side up on a cutting board. Score the skin diagonally to create a1/2-inch-wide diamond pattern and transfer to a resealable plastic bag. Add the hoisin, ginger and 5-spice to the bag, shake well to coat and refrigerate at least 4 hours or up to 24 hours.
- Make the crepes: Combine the flour, salt and cayenne pepper in a medium bowl. Combine the eggs, milk and butter in a separate bowl. Slowly whisk the egg mixture into the flour mixture until smooth. Let the batter stand at least 30 minutes or cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Heat an Anolon® Advanced 9 1/2” Nonstick Crepe Pan over medium. Whisk the batter gently and pour 1/4 cup into the pan, tilting in all directions to evenly cover the bottom. Cook until the underside of the crepe is lightly browned, about 1 1/2 minutes. Turn the crepe over and cook 20 seconds longer. Transfer to a large plate and repeat with the remaining batter. (The crepes may be made up to two days in advance).
- Remove the duck breasts from the marinade, wipe lightly with paper towel to remove the excess marinade and allow to stand at room 15 minutes. Heat a large Anolon® nonstick skillet over medium. Add the duck to the skillet, skin side down, and cook until browned, about 5-6 minutes, pouring off excess fat as it renders if necessary. Turn the breasts over and cook until an instant read thermometer inserted into the duck registers 150F, about 4-5 minutes longer. Transfer to a cutting board, cover loosely with foil and let stand 5 minutes. Cut the duck across in 48 thin slices.
- Place crepes on a work surface and fold each in half to form semi-circles. Spread the top with 1 teaspoon of the hoisin. Top each with 4 duck slices, cucumber sticks and a sprinkling of green onions. Fold one side of the crepe over the filling then roll up to form a cone shape. Repeat with remaining crepes. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Yield: Makes 6 entrée or 12 appetizer servings