- 1 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/3 cup plus 1/4 cup extra roasted pistachios
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2-3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 leek, cleaned and white part sliced
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 cups non-fat chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon oregano leaves
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- To make the Pesto, place all of the ingredients except the oil in a blender and process to a coarse paste, scraping down sides.
- Add the oil in a stream until the mixture reaches desired consistency, then fold in the cheese. Set aside. This will make more than needed for this recipe – store in a sealed container in the fridge for 1-2 days to use with pasta or over chicken or seafood.
- To make the soup, heat the oil in a large saucepan and add leek. Cook on medium heat until leek starts to soften, but not brown.
- Add the potatoes, stock and oregano and bring to a boil. Cover and cook until potatoes are tender, 10-15 minutes.
- Puree soup in blender, adding milk and seasoning to taste.
- Return to saucepan to reheat. Spoon soup into bowls, top with the pesto, and give a light swirl with a spoon. Scatter with a few of the extra pistachios.
- Yield: 6 Servings
- Cuisine: American
- Course: Soup