- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 (15-ounce) can pumpkin puree
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup dried cranberries
Maple-Brown Sugar Frosting
- 2 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon maple extract
- 4 ounces Neufchatel cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with cupcake liners.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, allspice, nutmeg, and salt in a bowl. In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar on high speed until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes. Beat in the eggs one at a time, scraping down the bowl in between each addition. Add the pumpkin and vanilla; beat on medium speed until combined. Add the flour mixture and beat on low speed until just combined. Fold in the cranberries with a spatula.
- Spoon the batter into the muffin cups. Bake until the top springs back to the touch and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 24-26 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and cool completely. When cool spread the top of each cupcake with frosting (recipe follows).
- Maple-Brown Sugar Frosting: Combine the confectioners’ sugar, brown sugar, butter, and salt in the bowl of an electric mixer. Beat on medium-high speed until well combined, about 1 1/2 minutes.
- While the mixer is on add maple syrup, vanilla extract, and maple extract. Increase speed to high and beat in Neufchatel cheese.
- Continue beating until light and fluffy. Refrigerate until ready to use.