Queens Coconut Curry Pulled Pork Sliders
- Yield: 12-14 Servings
- Cuisine: Indian
- Course: Appetizer
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 2 teaspoons Madras curry paste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 13.66-ounce can coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 1/2 - 6 pound bone-in pork shoulder roast (Boston Butt) , excess fat trimmed to 1/4 inch thickness
- 1 large hickory wood chunk , soaked in water for at least 30 minutes
- 24-28 potato slider rolls
- cilantro chutney , optional
- For the rub, combine the sugar, curry powder, cumin, salt and ginger in a small bowl. Evenly rub the mixture over the pork to coat. Let stand at room temperature for 45 minutes.
- Set up grill for medium-low indirect heat cooking (275- 300F). Place an aluminum pan, half filled with water, on the charcoal grate under where the pork will be.
- Place the wood chunk on the lit charcoal. Set the pork, fat side up, on the grill grate over the aluminum pan and close the lid. Grill, adding enough charcoal to maintain temperature after each hour, until an instant read thermometer inserted into the center of the pork without touching the bone registers 160F, about 3 1/2 to 4 hours. Wrap the pork in a large sheet of heavy-duty aluminum foil and return to the grill over indirect heat. Close the lid and cook until the internal temperature reaches 195F about 1-2 hours longer. Remove from the grill and let rest in foil for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a medium nonstick saucepan over medium. Add the onion, ginger, and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly softened, 3-4 minutes. Stir in the curry powder, curry paste, cumin and coriander; cook, stirring, 30 seconds until fragrant. Add coconut milk and sugar, bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 10-12 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in salt.
- Unwrap the roast and if cool enough to handle, shred the meat, discarding any large pieces of fat. Transfer pork to a bowl and stir in the sauce until well mixed.
- Top slider rolls evenly with pork and top with cilantro chutney if using.