- 5 pounds chicken parts, (backs, necks, wings, excess fat removed)
- 1 onion, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 12 parsley stems
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh or dry thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- Place all of the ingredients in a stock pot. Add water to 2" over the bones. Bring to a boil and immediately reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer slowly until the meat has fallen off the bone and the stock tastes very rich, 5 to 6 hours. As the level of the liquid decreases in the pot, replenish it periodically to maintain the original level.
- Strain through a fine mesh strainer into a bowl. Place in the refrigerator and allow the stock to cool completely. When it has cooled, remove the fat from the top with a spoon.
- Yield: 8-12 cups
- Cuisine: American
- Course: Soup