- 1 pound whole milk ricotta cheese
- 1 whole egg
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese, finely grated, divided
- 1/4 cup salted butter
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, thinly sliced
- In a bowl, combine ricotta, eggs, salt, flour, and ½ cup of Parmesan cheese and gently mix to form a soft dough. Turn dough out onto a floured surface and separate into 4 portions. Roll each portion into about a ½ – 3/4-inch round log and cut into 1-inch rectangles. Place cut gnocchi on a heavily floured baking sheet until ready to cook.
- Bring 8 quarts of water to a boil. Salt the water. Working in batches, gently place gnocchi into the water and cook until they float to the top. Drain and set aside.
- In a Dutch, heat butter over medium-high heat until melted and it starts to look foamy. Add basil and continue to cook the butter, stirring constantly, until it is golden brown in color – about a minute more. Remove from heat. Add gnocchi to the browned butter, toss, and serve immediately with grated Parmesan cheese.